Instant Pot Tomato Soup

I don't know about you all, but we have a snow day here today. It's still snowing. It's cold. There's wind, which makes it a colder cold. Basically, today is not a day to head outside. Today is a day where you throw on some comfy clothes, make yourself some hot chocolate and think about warmer things...like soup.  I don't know about you, but there is nothing better than homemade soup. It's just the best. It's usually even better the next day. 

Today's soup came as a suggestion from my friend's daughter who was hanging out with us. When I gave her the run down of what I could cook for lunch...mac n' cheese, grilled cheese, chicken noodle soup..wait, go back to grilled cheese. Oh and do you have Tomato Soup to go with it? Not specific at all, right? So, I started mulling it over..did I have the ingredients to make it? I think so. So this beauty was born. And, boy, did the grilled cheese taste amazing dipped in it. 

Instant Pot Grilled Cheese
Serving size: 7 (generous 1 cup portion)
Weight Watchers Smart Points: 3

Ingredients:
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion (chopped small)
1 cup celery (chopped small)
1 cup carrot (chopped small)
2 tbsp flour
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 3/4 cup fat free milk
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes (I prefer Tuttoroso)
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp Adobo seasoning
1/2 tsp dried Oregano 
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried basil
1/3 cup shredded parmesan reggiano cheese
3/4 tsp Kosher Salt 
pepper to taste

Instructions:
1.Use the saute button on your instant pot. Add the butter and olive oil. When melted, add the onion, carrot and celery and saute until soft. Around 5-6 min
2. Add the flour, stir and cook 1-2 minutes
3. Add the broth, milk and tomatoes and stir.
4. Add the thyme, bay leaves, adobo, oregano, parsley, and basil and stir.
5. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Quick release. (Tip: I put a towel over the release valve to catch the steam)
6. If you like your soup  more smooth, blend with an immersion blender or by small batches in a blender. (I left mine chunky)
7. Add the 1/3 parmesan reggiano cheese, salt and pepper, adjusting to taste.


Make sure you leave me a comment if you tried this out. And don't forget to subscribe to my blog to get updates.

xoxo
Sara


Comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...