Healthy Egg Roll In a Bowl

I don't know about you, but I really love egg rolls. In fact, I love them so much, it quite possibly might be an obsession. The best egg rolls have the right crunch to filling to salt content (usually applied liberally with soy sauce). Am I right or am I right?

Unfortunately, most egg rolls are also fried which means they are unhealthy. While my fat cells say "YASSS! More friends!!" the rest of my body says "Umm..what the heck man?!!" Plus they leave me with little to no Weight Watcher points..because, let's face it, you just can't eat one. (Tell me this isn't just me..lol)

This leaves me to the healthy version of egg rolls...Egg Roll in a Bowl. Now there is many versions out there on the net and they are all pretty similar. I used to just use bagged cabbage and bagged everything really, but trust me..this is SOO much better with fresh ingredients and not much more time. 

Egg Roll In A Bowl
Serving Size 6
Weight Watchers 3 Smart Points

Ingredients:
1 package Turkey Italian Sausage (sweet or hot)
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms (shiitake preferred, but any will do)
3-4 cups shredded napa cabbage (I used a whole head, so it might have been more)
2 cups uncooked baby bok choy (I used 4, so it might have been more)
1/2 cup shredded carrots (much better than my chopped)
1/2 tbsp mirin (rice cooking wine)
1 tsp sesame oil
chopped scallions (for serving)

Directions:
1. Remove the sausage from its casing 
2. In a large pan or wok, brown the sausage on medium high heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon as you go. 
2. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce to the sausage as it browns
3. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until it softens.
4. Add remaining soysauce, mirin, and sesame oil.
4. Add the mushrooms, carrot, cabbage, and bok choy. Cook until crisp but not overcooked...maybe 5 minutes. Mix in well with the sausage as they cook.
5. Spoon up in to 6 bowls
6. Top with chopped scallions


Make sure and leave me a comment and let me know if you made this and what you thought about it. 

Xoxo
Sara




Comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...